A Blog of encouragement for life in the 21st Century

Monday, February 06, 2006

I'm Listening Lord

It is amazing how the Lord brings up things that He is trying to teach you all over the place. I was reading through the book Celebration of Discipline. Meditiation was the first discipline described. At the same time I had to read 2 books by the Dalai Lama for school in which he spoke greatly about Buddhist meditation. My previous post on meditation spoke of the difference between the two types of meditation. I understand a little more now of what Foster meant. The whole purpose of Christian meditation is to hear God's voice. It is to open yourself to Him to hear and obey.

Christian Meditation allows you to create a space through imagination, visualizing things as they really are; not as what your eyes/senses tell you. This is so different from the Buddhist view because it is not an altered state of consciousness that you are seeking. You are not seeking to develop yourself through the meditation. You are seeking to be led by the Holy Spirit, allowing him to direct your thoughts and imagination. And in the leading to obey his voice.

I have been meditating on the verses in the book of Proverbs. Seeing in my minds eyes images of what the verse states. In some of the images I am the subject, in others I am watching the another subject of the verse from a close distance. It is amazing the insight that you get by watching. I can't explain how I know, but I do know that He is showing me the things I need to "see." My responsibility is the response to His voice. Yes Lord, I hear you...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home